The Highfields State Secondary College Support Team offer support to students and their families to manage issues that may impact on a student's school participation, engagement and/or achievement.
The Support Team is able to organise one on one support as well as small group programs. The Support Team may also refer students and their families to external agencies. The service is confidential. Mandatory reporting is required if a student discloses information about an illegal activity, actual harm or abuse or potential harm or abuse. Support Team staff must report these cases to the College Principal or delegate. Appointments for members of the Support Team can be made at the Student Counter.
- Subject selection, learning styles and study skills.
- Career assistance including jobs, careers and scholarships.
- Psychometric assessment.
- Mental Health issues, referrals and plans.
School Based Youth Health Nurse
- Address concerns or problems about health and well being.
- Help create a more supportive, healthy school environment.
- Connect people to other support services outside the school.
The School Based Youth Health Nurse meets with young people in private to talk about health concerns, relationships, sexual health, personal or family issues, smoking, alcohol and drug use.
Defence School Mentor (DSM)
- Assist ADF families transition into and out of the school.
- Integrate Defence families into school community.
- Source information within the school framework to pass onto Defence families.
- Help organise support and tutoring for students of Defence families if required.
- Provide lunch time activities and a quiet space for Defence students.
The Defence School Mentor is a Teacher Aide employed by the school who has been at the College since it opened in 2015. Funding for the DSM is provided from the Department of Defence to facilitate the best possible education outcome for children of Defence members. This funding program is administered by the Defence Member and Family Support and recognises the partnership between schools and Defence to support Defence families through classroom support and social activities to support and encourage student friendships/relationships. The DSM at HSSC is Brenda Heskett who is based in the Resource Centre on Fridays of each week and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com or telephoning 4614 7222.